According to the UN Environment Programme, the building sector accounts for 38% of energy-related CO2 emissions1. Commercial buildings are a major source of power consumption and waste generation. These facts have prompted the creation of green building standards and certifications to mitigate the environmental impacts.
At Brigade, sustainability is imbibed at its core and is driven by the top management to deliver environment-friendly projects.
Brigade’s Green Building Certification
The green building concepts have been adopted by the Brigade Group and encompass the following aspects to cover sustainable solutions:
- Efficient use of energy, water, and other resources
- Reducing waste, pollution, and environmental degradation
- Optimized material use
- Encouraging in-fill and mixed-use development
- Durable designs
- Health protection and improving quality of life
- Creating community
Brigade properties have two major certifications:
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design is the most renowned rating system for green buildings in the world. It is applicable for all building types and provides a framework for healthy, highly efficient, and cost-saving green buildings.
Some of Brigade’s LEED-certified projects are:
• Brigade Tech Gardens - It’s a USGBC LEED Platinum certified SEZ Development with Technology Plaza, City Garden Brook Gardens, Botanical Garden, and Garden Theatre. It has large indoor and outdoor spaces to foster focus and collaborative interaction.
• World Trade Centre, Chennai
• World Trade Centre, Kochi
• Brigade IRV Centre
The Indian Green Building Council’s vision is to enable a sustainable environment in India. It provides green building certificates, green building rating programs and green building training programs. It works closely with governments and bilateral multilateral agencies for certifications.
Some of Brigade’s IGBC-certified projects are:
• Brigade Opus - This IGBC Platinum Certified project has India’s largest living bio wall with 15,487 plants including 7 different species, designed to offer a sustainable and efficient work environment by improving air quality, enhancing visual appeal, and keeping the interiors cool.
• Brigade Senate 1
• Brigade Senate 2
• Brigade Deccan Heights
• Brigade Twin Towers
• Brigade Triumph Ibis Style, GIFT City
• Brigade World Trade Centre Annex
• Brigade Utopia (Office Buildings)
Brigade’s Sustainability System
Brigade’s green philosophy has some major sustainability systems:
- Transplantation of existing trees at the project sites
- Purchase of power from green power generators
- Optimum use of natural energy
- Building orientation and cross ventilation to optimize air conditioning systems
- Use of Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) rated and Green Pro Certified products
- Use of STP-treated water for construction, landscaping, water-cooled air-conditioning, etc.
- Use of low flow water fixtures to conserve freshwater
- Rooftop rainwater harvesting
- Conversion of municipal organic solid waste for project works
- Use of recycled construction materials like fly ash, engineered wood, steel, glass, etc.
Brigade’s Special Sustainable Projects
- Green Initiative
As sustainability has always been a key part of its endeavours, Brigade started an initiative to make the cities greener on its 30th anniversary. The Group pledged to plant 30,000 trees across various cities and restore their green cover. In this green initiative, not only did Brigade successfully plant 30000 trees but also planted an additional 10,000 trees in the run.
- Eco STP
According to the Pollution Control Board of India, only 78.7% of sewage generated goes untreated2. To combat this menace, Brigade has implemented a unique ‘Zero Power Zero Maintenance’ sewage treatment technology. This eco STP is a decentralized, natural, and cost-effective way of water treatment and helps real estate builders develop a sustainable community.
Brigade Group has been pioneering the inclusion of sustainability in commercial real estate and workspaces. The Group is constantly pushing boundaries to shed the conventional ways and integrate more sustainable options in the modern workspaces.